The SONS OF NORWAY FOUNDATION IN CANADA provides direct and designated grants to support educational programs for post-secondary students and to support cultural and recreational activities for Sons of Norway Lodges, affiliate groups and individuals. It should be noted that funding for all scholarships, bursaries and grants is available only to Canadian individuals, organizations and Lodges.
Types of Funding
You can apply for various types of funding, including the following. (PDF files require Acrobat Reader to view and complete. If you are experiencing difficulties opening a form, click here to upgrade to the newest version.of Acrobat Reader.)
Cultural Grants - Lodges & Affiliate Groups Open or Close
Cultural grants may be awarded to Sons of Norway lodges or affiliate groups to assist in covering some of the event costs.
Tormod Rekdal Cultural Grant - Individuals Open or Close
The Tormod Rekdal Cultural Grant provides financial assistance to persons taking courses or workshops. Preference is given to those who will pass on their skills to others.
- Form CF004 – Grant Application Form
- Application deadlines are March 1 and September 1 of each year.
Post-Secondary and Trade Scholarships Open or Close
Post-secondary and trade scholarships are funded through the Foundation General Fund. The scholarship program is for post-secondary undergraduate studies at Canadian institutions. Only studies towards the first degree or diploma will be considered in this program. Awards can also be granted for those in apprenticeship programs. Awards are normally $800 for undergraduate studies and $400 for apprenticeship program participants. No more than three awards can be awarded to any one individual.
- Form CF001 – Scholarship Application for university/college studies
- Form CF010 – Trade School Application Form for apprentice/trade school studies
- The deadline for applications is August 31 of each year
Lysne Rosemaling Bursary Open or Close
The Lysne Rosemaling Bursary supports workshops for people wanting to learn or upgrade their Rosemaling skills. People who plan to teach Rosemaling skills to others will also be considered.
- Form CF008 – Lysne Rosemaling Bursary Application applicatiion form.
- Form CF007 – Follow-Up Report must be submitted following each workshop event.
- The deadline for applications is March 1 or September 1 of each year.
Humanitarian Support Open or Close
The Humanitarian Support Fund provides financial support to people who have suffered catastrophic losses to their homes, home inventory or properties.
This Fund is designed to help individuals or groups make tax deductible donations to persons suffering catastrophic losses. Lodges and affiliate groups are encouraged to contact a Board member if they are aware of members who have suffered a catastrophic loss.
To make a donation to the Humanitarian Support Fund:
- complete CF006 - Donation Form, being sure to select "Humanitarian Relief Fund" in Part 1.
- Submit the Donation Form, along with your donation by mail to:
Erik Brochmann, Treasurer
SONS OF NORWAY FOUNDATION IN CANADA
32412 Ptarmigan Drive
Mission, BC V2V 5R5
Note: Cheques must be payable to the SONS OF NORWAY FOUNDATION IN CANADA.
The SONS OF NORWAY FOUNDATION IN CANADA will:
- provide you a receipt for incame tax purposes
- ensure the required documentation is in place prior to forwarding the funds to the recipent
- authorize the establishment and establish the duration of each funding project
- be in receipt of a grant application on behalf of the person suffering the loss and signed by the lodge/sponser group preseident and secretary
- review the request
- forward the donations to the recipient
Folkehøgskole Bursary Open or Close
The Folkehøgskole Bursary provides financial assistance to applicants who will be attending Folkehøgskole in Norway. Applicants can receive up to CDN $750.00 each depending on the number of applicants. In order that applications can be considered, notification of acceptance at the school must be included with the application.
- Form CF005 – Folkehøgskole Bursary Application Form.
- The deadline for application is May 31 of each year.
Oslo International Summer School (OISS) Bursary Open or Close
To be eligible for an OISS Bursary, applications to attend OISS must be made to:
Oslo International Summer School
Saint Olaf College
1520 Saint Olaf Avenue
Northfield, MN 55057-1098 [1-800-639-0058
When applicants have been notified of acceptance by OISS, they can apply to the Sons of Norway Foundation in Canada for a financial grant. Applicants can receive up to a maximum of CDN $750.00 each, depending on the number of applicants.
- Form CF003 – Oslo International Summer School Bursary Application Form.
- The deadline for application is June 15 of each year.
Karel and Bjarne Thorshaug Norwegian Studies Bursary Open or Close
This bursary provides financial assistance for undergraduate students enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary institution who are taking classes in Norwegian Language, History or Culture. In order to be considered for this bursary, at least 20% of the course load must be in these classes.
- Form CF009 – Bjarne & Karel Thorshaug Bursary for Norwegian Studies
- Deadline date for application is August 31 of each year.
Lodges and Lodge Groups
Based on funding availability, financial assistance may also be provided to Canadian Sons of Norway lodges or lodge groups that offer classes or workshops in Norwegian Language, History and/or Culture.
- Form CF002 – Grant Application Form
- Form CF007 – Follow-Up Report must be completed and submitted to the Foundation following each workshop event.
- Deadlines are March 1 and September 1 of each year.
Each year, the Board of Directors will determine the amount available for bursary awards and/or grants in this category.